Highlights include visits to:
- Mt. Vernon
- Arlington National Cemetery
- Smithsonian Institution Museums
- Lincoln, FDR and Jefferson memorials
- Holocaust Museum
- World War II, Korean and Vietnam Memorials
The contest consists of a written test comprised of 50 multiple choice, True-False, fill in the blank and essay questions covering topics such as the history of rural electrification, Southern Rivers Energy, the basics of how electricity works, electrical safety, and the cooperative business model.
Students are given a study packet of material several weeks before the contest and the highest scoring individuals on the written test go on to participate in an interview where the winners are then chosen based on poise, leadership qualities, school activities, community service and knowledge of material.
If you are interested in applying for or learning more about the Washington Youth Tour, contact Kathryn Claxton by phone at 770-358-1383 ext. 348 or toll free at 877-358-1383. Download 2017 WYT APPLICATION NOW!
2017 CONTEST SCHEDULE
- Application Deadline - Feb. 10
- Study Packets Emailed - Feb. 13
- Students take test at SRE Office - Mar. 16 at 4 PM
- Interviews for highest scoring individuals - Mar. 21 from 11 AM - 1 PM
Above: (L-R) Zoe Mahar and Peyton Lee of Pike County High School represented SRE on the 2016 Washington Youth Tour.